Saturday, June 2, 2012

Baldy loop and cool cops

Great ride up frontside of Baldy down GMR today. June on the weekends is strictly Jodi training. She rode like a mountain goat on caffeine overload. The descent is always fun as my TCR just handles speed so well. I am used to wannabe overconfident riders on motorbikes on that hill and today there were a few crotchrockets doing just that. But one motorcyclist stayed on my my wheel for a few fast miles. As I nodded, hand gestured, hugged the outside, the guy just would not pass. I finally had enough and fully slowed and the motorcycle pulls right along side says: "You're going over 50 miles per hour".  Seeing that he was on a bike with multi colored lights and big guns a badge and probably a ticket book, I thought "Seriously"? One of my biggest pet peeves are the crimes (I feel pretty strong about it) roughly 10% of the California drivers get away with. Many IMO should have their licenses revoked on the spot when driving 100 m.p.h + on our over populated freeways.
     As it was time to wait up for Jodi anyways I pulled off on a turnout, the motorcycle officer did the same, and I figured if this guy wants to write me up for speeding  my name is now Joe Smith. 

  This Highway Patrolman was off the hook cool. Said he enjoyed observing a bicycle on a descent like that as he really has only seen it on TV. He asked what "Safariland" meant on the back of my bibs and he then shows me his Safariland holster. He grew up in Baldwin Park, went to Bishop Amat High School and was coached in football by friends of mine. Graduated in 2002.  Man he is young. He jokingly shared that he could write me up. But I think I got him back when just prior to rolling out he asks "what kind of bike do you recommend for me?" I replied :"One without a motor" smiled, dropped it in my 11T and ventured on. Pretty cool mutual respect thing we had there. I hope I see my new friend again.(maybe him pedaling next time :) It's always welcoming to see law enforcement up on GMR. But it is still rare. Unfortunately similar on our freeways. When I was 16 I learned real quick. Go over the speed limit: Get a ticket. Have not had one since................ Don't speed. In your car at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment