Sunday, June 10, 2012

L.A. Tri Series # 3: One special day.

You stick around this sport for over a quarter of a century and  chances are you will see and experience the same old stuff. Or the opposite. I am a lucky one and the latter happens to be the case. A few months ago I get approached by CNN  inquiring if I would be interested in helping one of their chosen 7 in our nation and assist him to be able to complete the Nautica Malibu Triathlon coming up in September. My info on Carlos was short on paper: Non athletic, overweight and diabetic. He was chosen for those reasons. After meeting Carlos on our initial visit I accepted the task because of the man he is. Athlete? Not yet. Good man? Already.
CNN wants Carlos' first entire triathlon to be finished at the highly popular Nautica Malibu. But I felt he needs the experience other than training with just myself near him. So CNN granted him our wish of allowing him to participate in a relay today at the triathlon. I asked Carlos which would he choose to benefit from the experience: Swim, bike, or run? He wanted the experience of several hundred other cyclist's around him. So bike it is.
It would have been easy to shag a swimmer and runner from right here in the local area. But I was pretty strong on feeling another diabetic would add to the worth, the meaning, the message these two (or three) potential team members can share. So I google "Tri-abetes" and "Team Insulin Dependance" and I get this facebook page with a 13 year old kid from Carlsbad whom from the pics looks like one involved little athlete. Swim, bike, run, surf, paddle board racing, his photos were impressive. So I shoot a message to him asking him to share it with his parents. Thinking: Long shot. 

But 13 year old Ryan Maloney rose to the occasion. Huge. His parents Bill and Annette drove the long haul from Carlsbad early this a.m. I met young Ryan for the very first time with both our feet in the water at the start of a triathlon waiting for the gun to off. A triathlon course I have competed well over 100 times. Ryan and Carlos? Never. The two absolutely rocked today. In every manner. The results and splits are up. Ryan out of the swim near the big boys!  With this being Carlos' first ever competition he handled his transition and cycling leg simply awesome entering the run transition as 2nd place relay!!! And then young Ryan Maloney running down the relay leader to take 1st place relay overall! Nothing short of amazing. Diabetic or not, these two guys are awesome. But the fact is they are both diabetic. And they are showing others they can control it and not let it control them.  Incredible examples.  I enjoy being around them.  With their natural public speaking talent (as witnessed today) maybe I will. Watching them from our sofa. They are both talk show material.  Absolute incredible display of sportsmanship, competition, and I'll even throw in the word professionalism. Not one I toss around much.







No comments:

Post a Comment