Friday, March 5, 2010

My Heroes: Terry Martin and Rudy Garcia


Ran into an old buddy while riding up GMR today. One of his question's was: Who was the most influential person in your 25+ year's of triathlon? Pretty easy answer for me: Terry Martin. For one he has always been freakin' fast. On anything.... He helped get me on "The Beam Team" Softride's grassroots team in the 90's..... He hooked me up with "Team Elite" where I raced in PowerBar dud's and put on 5 lbs. M-F eating mega PowerBars like dessert after dinner.... He turned me on to Nike's "Air Kukini's" I loved them. No laces. Fastest transition's ever in these babies. I remember the Desert Princess: Terry wore those Biathlon (hey, that's what they were called then) platform- pedal-thing's you raced in, never removing your racing flat's(shoes). Again, I followed suit. That same year he dualed it out w/ Frank Shorter(Olympian) there for Master's World Championship's. Speaking of Olympian's, Terry Martin was thee first one to reach out to Rudy Garcia Tolson, and then mentored him, and then introduced him to just about every contact that has led to his well deserved, hard earned and inspiring new triathlon career.. Yes, Terry Martin has had the biggest influence on me. He is an awesome athlete and a wonderful human being. Rudy carries those same qualities. In part, I firmly believe, due to Terry M.'s incredible and generous influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment