Thursday, September 1, 2011

Traveling and racing abroad




Looking back on the year one of the most memorable experiences hands down was our trip to the small island off Honduras of Roatan. A world class ITU triathlon competition coupled with world class scuba diving. Meeting many new friends was icing on the cake.
After landing on this Giligans' sized island we carted out our Winnebago sized bike cases and stuck our thumbs out. Hitched a ride in no time. Sardine canned our bikes into a little run down beater car with destination: Other side of the island. Josef was our first new Honduran friend and what turned out to be our personal little tour guide/driver/go-to-guy. We scored out of the gates.
Corey hooked me up with this never-before-I-had-ridden Kona demo bike.I did not want to expose my 15 lb. carbon cracker box bike to the baggage handling gorillas of the airlines. Been there/done that. The bike was a great call and carried me well through the hot and hilly course helping me with a first place podium finish. One size too big, 25mm tires, compact cranks and all. Jodi took first also and was not far behind me. I saw her multiple x's on this course as it was out and back. Up and down. Out and back. Up and down. Little rascal.
The race was off the hook. The people too. Would not hesitate to return in 2012. It's just that there are still many other spots and races on the map yet to explore. Tough decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment